CFNN Reporter Jack Edwards 

Last night, the Jv Colts took to the road to take on the Pine Forest Trojans. It must have been a long trip, because the young Colts found themselves down three touchdowns in the first half, heading to the locker room down 20-0 at the half. 

Down 20 with leader and key defender Kadin Carter out of the lineup with an arm injury suffered in the first half,the Colts needed a huge second half. The team’s morale was extremely low. The coaches did everything they could to rally the team. 

“Life is full of adversity and you are going to be in tougher situations than down 26 to 0 in a jv football game,”  said Head Coach Derrick Johnson. “Your character is determined by how you respond to adversity.”

The Colts received the ball to start the half. They were driving down the field when Freshman Quarterback Geronimo Sanchez threw an interception. The Trojans capitalized, driving down the field to score yet another touchdown, making the score Trojans 26, Colts 0. 

The Colts were desperate for some momentum. The boys drove down the field and finally hit paydirt on a rushing touchdown from King Faison. King then ran in the two point conversion making the score Trojans 26, Colts 8. 

The Colts now needed a stop. Sophomore Free Safety Arington Kee answered the bell with a big interception. 

“The interception gave us the momentum we needed to keep playing after KK’s injury,” said Kee.

Two plays later Sanchez found Sophomore Wide Receiver Brannon Quinton in the end zone for the Colts’ second touchdown. The two point conversion was good, making the score Trojans 26, Colts 16. 

The momentum built for the Colts as they held the Trojans on the next possession. The Trojans lined up to punt, but it was a bad snap. The punter recovered the snap inside the Trojan 10 yard line. 

With all the momentum in their favor, Cape Fear could not score on the next possession. The defense needed a stop from there. The Trojans were backed up in the shadow of their own goal post after a penalty put them on the 2 yard line. The stingy Colts defense pounced on the Pine Forest running back in the back field and stuffed the run for a safety. 

Pine Forest was forced to kick the ball off from their own 20. The score was now 26-18 in favor of the Trojans. A couple of big runs by King Faison put the ball at first and goal from the Trojan 2. A Quarterback sneak by Sanchez got the Colts in the end zone once again. Ayden Leonard punched in the two point conversion to tie the game. 

The Trojans now had the ball with less than five minutes left in the 4th quarter. They found the endzone on a jet sweep to take the lead 32-26. They failed to complete the two point conversion leaving them up by 6 with just over 2 minutes to play.

Several penalties after the score found Pine Forest kicking off from its own 12 yard line. This gave Cape Fear the opportunity it needed for a chance to win.

Starting the drive at the Pine Forest 30, Things looked bleak until Sanchez rolled out of the pocket and hit Sophomore Tight End Spencer Smith in the end zone for the game tying touchdown. They ran the same play again to complete the two point conversion, putting the Colts up 34-32 for their first lead of the game.

The Colts needed one more stop to end the game. On 4th down, the Quarterback rolled out, scrambled and was tackled just short to turn the ball over to give the Colts possession and the win. 

The Colts took a knee to end the game. 

“I have been doing this for 18 years and have never been more proud of a group of guys,” said an excited Coach Johnson after the game.