CFNN Reporters Grace Sherbert & Gracie McLaurin

Last Thursday the Colts squared off against the undefeated 71st Falcons in a heavyweight matchup that very well could have determined the United 8 Conference championship. The Colts fought hard until the very last play, but came up short 13-29.

The loss puts 71st on top of the conference at 3-0 and 6-0 overall, while the Colts fal to 2-1 in the conference and 4-2 overall. Cape Fear still stands a solid chance of a playoff berth, however, with a stretch of important games ahead. 

The Colts kicked off the game with a 10 play drive, moving the ball effectively against a tough Falcon defense, but they could not find paydirt, ending the promising drive with an interception. 

On the ensuing drive, the defense stepped up to force 71st to punt after a three and out. The Falcons responded in kind, forcing a Colt punt after a three and out.

The Colts defense came up big on the next series, stopping the Falcons on 4th down to give the offense a chance to score. Cape Fear was unable to capitalize, as QB Cole Wilson was intercepted on third down. This led to a nine play 71st drive that ended in a touchdown. The PAT was good, and at the end of the first quarter the Falcons led 0-7.

In the second quarter, the Colts were forced to punt after another three and out. 71st responded with another touchdown and a two- point conversion, taking the score 0-15. 

The Colts immediately answered with a nine play drive late in the second quarter that resulted in a touchdown led by a 5 yard run from Wilson. Kicker Tyler Buckley converted the kick as the half came to an end with a score 7-15.

71st opened the second half with a 12 play drive ending with a touchdown followed by an extra point. The score was now 7-22 in favor of the Falcons.

The Colts kept fighting and showed no signs of quit as they answered with a 15- yard touchdown pass from Wilson to WR Devonte Hill. 

“All I have wanted to do was have an opportunity  to show what I could do in this big time game. I feel I really did show out. The team fought for 48 minutes and I’m glad I could give everything I got for the team,” explained Hill. 

The Colts attempted a two- point conversion, but it was no good. Leaving them at 13-22 with 5 minutes to go in the game.

71st response with another touchdown and a successful extra point, finallies the score 13-29. The Colts final position ended in a turnover on downs, concluding the game.

The Colt defense played their typical brand of tough physical football, using the blitz to limit Falcon big plays, but they just couldn’t seem to come up with stops on 3rd and 4th down. The Falcons executed their game plan methodically, rushing for 4 to 5 yards per play. 

“We played through all 48 minutes, and at no point did we give up. We were down 15-0 at one point, but we came back and scored immediately, ” explains Sophomore Linebacker Bryan Charles. 

Come and join us on Friday October 7th, as the Colts travel to Douglas Byrd High School to take on their second consecutive bird of prey, the Eagles . The Colts now sit at 2-1 in the U8 conference and 4-2 overall. They are hoping to bring home a win this week.