CFNN Reporters Grace Sherbert & Gracie McLaurin

On Friday, October 14, the Colts battled  the Jack Britt Buccaneers at home for the annual Homecoming game. It was a tough, physical contest, and the Colts were determined to win but came up just short, losing 20-27. 

The Colts kicked off to start the game, pinning the Buccaneers inside their own 10 yard line. The Buccaneers managed to pick up a first down before being forced to punt. 

The Colts took over at the Buccaneers at the 34 yard line after kick returner/wide receiver Devonte Hill’s fair catch. 

The Colts didn’t take long to get on the board. Senior QB Cole Wilson connected with wide receiver Ricardo McDonald for a 28 yard touchdown. After a successful kick, the Colts took a 7-0 lead.

The Colts forced another punt from the Buccaneers on the next possession, but a fumbled return gave the ball back to the Buccaneers at the Colts 33 yard line.

“Mistakes are always gonna be made,” said Hill. “We always say the next play is the most important play. I made some mistakes, so I just try not to get in my own head and know we always have a chance of winning.”  

The Buccaneers scored on a 4 yard run to tie the game 7-7. After the Buccaneers’ kickoff, the Colts took over at their own 38 yard line. 

The Colts QB Cole Wilson was injured on an 11 yard drive, bringing in backup QB Bryce Mckenize. Mckenize was able to find McDonald in the end zone for a 25 yard touchdown, McDonald’s second of the game. This put the Colts up 14-7 after Kicker Tyler Buckley’s extra point.

On the Buccaneers next possession, the Colts defense responded by forcing a three and out. The Colts were unable to capitalize on this and were forced to punt again. 

The Colts defense came up with another stop, forcing another Buccaneer punt. Hill returned the punt all the way to the Buccaneers 38 yards all the way to the Britt 20 yard line. 

Cape Fear capitalized on the prime field position with a 4 yard touchdown run by Junior running back Favour Murtala. Buckley’s extra point was no good after a questionable false start penalty which moved them back 5 yards. The Colts led 20-7 late in the second quarter. 

The Buccaneers scored on an 86 yard touchdown run, leaving the score 20-14 after the extra point.The Colts attempted to answer but were derailed by a 3rd holding penalty, leaving the score 20-14 and the half.

“It was definitely very frustrating,” said Hill. “Some things didn’t work out in our favor, so we got in our heads about a little. We just got to maintain our composure and control what we can control. That’s what we really focused on in practice this week.” 

Colts returner Jacary Lightsey took the second half kickoff across midfield to set up the Colts to extend their lead. Their hopes were crushed again as wide receiver Devonte Hill’s 46 yard touchdown run was called back for yet another holding penalty. This made the 4th holding call against the Colts.

“I feel like we could have handled things better when the calls kept going against us,” said sophomore Cornerback Kamari Faison. “We need to do a better job of feeding off each other’s energy and focusing on our opponents and taking care of what we can control.” 

The 5th and 6th holding penalties stopped the Colts from capitalizing on a 45 yard run by Murtala into the red zone, forcing another Colts punt. 

The Buccaneers were able to take full advantage of the Cape Fear miscues, scoring on their next possession on a 39 yard touchdown run. After the extra point, the Buccaneers led 21-20 late in the third quarter. 

The Colts would be unable to answer offensively, but the defense came up with a clutch goal line stand after a pass interference penalty gave the Buccaneers the ball at the 10 yard line. Cape Fear took over at their own 1 yard line.

The ensuing Colt drive was promising, but a fumble on 3rd and 2 gave the Bucs the ball at the Cape Fear 22 yard line. Fortunately, the Colt defense stood fast once more, forcing a Britt punt after the Bucs lone holding call of the game backed them up.

The Buccaneers scored last with a 1 yard interception return for a touchdown to extend the lead to 27-20. The Colts had one last chance to score with 1:30 to go on the clock, but a fumble on a trick play sealed the game in favor of the Bucs.

“I just tried to keep everyone’s head up,” said Faison. “It was a tough loss, of course; it was Homecoming. We were all disappointed, but we have a tough game next week, so we have to bounce back.”

Join the Colts this Friday, October 21, for their game against Southview  as the boys travel to the Jungle to take on the Tigers. The Colts’ playoff hopes are still alive, making this a huge game for the team. Help us show the world that Colt Pride Never Stops!